RAPID™, at the database level, allows the user to easily and quickly start storing time series data from a myriad of sources. It is optimized for storing and analyzing data that looks like this:
2014-03-20T00:00:00.000Z, 1234.52, 0xC0
2014-03-20T00:00:01.000Z, 1234.12, 0xC02014-03-20T00:23:02.000Z, 1234.89, 0xC0
2014-03-20T00:23:03.000Z, 1234.01, 0xC0
2014-03-20T00:23:04.000Z, 1224.73, 0xC02014-03-20T00:23:05.000Z, 972.23, 0xC0
The first part is a timestamp in ISO8601 format. The second part is a value, stored as a Variant type, allowing almost all forms of data to be stored. Finally, the third part is a quality indicator, normally used by OPC clients, a definition of these quality indicators can be found in the OPC.IDL
Interacting with the RAPID™ database
You can interact with the RAPID™ database in a number of ways, depending on your use case. All these aim to get you up and running quickly, working with your data without having to worry about configuration of the database.
- For OPC connections, we provide a Data Logger component that can connect to any OPC server.
- For SCADA systems such as Emerson's DeltaV, we provide out of the box adaptors to easily store the data in our database in an ISA 88 format. We also provide web services for retrieving this data for reporting.
- For .NET clients, we provide a full range of Interop assemblies for communicating with all of our components, including the database.
- A REST API is provided for working in highly connected environments or when you want to access your data remotely over the internet. We offer API clients in a number of languages to make it easy for you to get started.
Example of reading and writing data
Below is a C# .NET example of how to read and write RAPID™ data. Clients in other languages work similarly. If you'd like help getting started, send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Install the RAPID™ product. After the install, request a trial license from Automsoft™ at email@example.com, as detailed here.
Download the Automsoft C# demonstration client from GitHub.curl -O https://github.com/automsoft/TestData.CSharp.git
Run client to insert 10 days of test data.TestData.exe -w
Run client to read back some of this data.TestData.exe -r
Testing the database performance
One of the aspects of our database which we are most proud of is its ability to run on many types of hardware while still maintaining high levels of performance. At any stage, you can test the performance on a machine using some simple scripts that we provide. If you would need help in optimizing your solution, contact firstname.lastname@example.org